Friday, May 17, 2013

Mind-Body Connection

I have had some problems getting the muscle growth I want when working out, especially when it comes to symmetrical growth. Lack of muscle growth can happen for various reasons - diet, improper form, not working out enough, etc.
I’ve talked about this problem before in my blog. My main issue right now is symmetry. My right side, which is my dominant side, isn’t progressing like the left. How that happens, is really a mystery. You would think the dominant side would be more muscular. I, first, noticed it in my quads. My right leg just looked fat and the left was toned. Then I noticed it in my arms and calves. Disproportioned body parts are normal. Please understand that. None of us have perfectly symmetrical bodies. If you do, you’re a friggin’ unicorn!
If you are into bodybuilding, having less muscle growth on one side can become a problem to conquer. There are ways to help muscle growth and look symmetrical:
1.) Do a couple more sets on the side of the body that isn’t getting enough muscle growth.

2.) Work out each side independently.

And I was, recently, introduced to 3.) Use the “Mind- Body Connection”.


The Mind-Body Connection is the art of focusing your mind precisely and accurately on the exercise and, more specifically, the body part you’re working on. This will maximize the benefit of your training session, minimize injury risk and is a greater stress reliever.
The “Mind-Body Connection” method is used in other wellness workouts such as yoga/pilates, muscle relaxation, relaxation breathing, mental and physical rehabilitation.
Before I began using this method, I never felt like I worked out hard enough. I would be sore the next day but I felt like something was missing. Just because you’re sore the next day, that doesn’t mean you had an effective workout. Sure, you may have some results but it’s important to maximize your results and you can do that by using the Mind-Body Connection method.
This is how it works. If you are working your quads, visualize in your mind the quad contracting with full range and controlled motion. Then proceed with the exercise. Stay focused on the quad. Don’t let your mind wander to another subject. Go slow. Don’t jerk the weight. Feel the muscle relax as you release the weight. Didn’t do it right? Start over until you get it right.
Be patient with yourself. It takes some practice. I have a short attention span sometimes so it was pretty hard for me at first. I do better in an empty gym so I like to do my weight training in the middle of the night. It fits my schedule since I work evenings too. No one hogging the machines and you have the whole place to yourself!
I’m sure this can work for cardio too. You can try this meditation during a long steady cardio session or even HIIT. I’ve tried it to ease my shin pain during HIIT. Don’t get me wrong. Pain means you need to rest. Listen to your body when it’s in pain.
If you’re looking for quality workouts from here on out with maximum results, try this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment