Monday, January 7, 2013

Water Powerrrrrrrr!

Water is essential to sustain life. (Duh!) Water makes up about 60% of your body weight. It regulates the body’s temperature; carries nutrients to all of your vital organs and other tissue; it keeps the joints lubricated; and helps with the body’s plumbing to flush toxins and other unnecessary waste out of the body.

When you’re working out, it is even more important to stay hydrated. I remember, in boot camp, the MTIs (military training instructors) always made us drink water. We carried a water canteen on our belt. I was so sick of water by the end of each day. Had we not drank enough water, we surely would have passed out because the training was exhausting at times.

Dehydration is very common. I bet you are dehydrated right now. Feeling tired? Sluggish? Thirsty? Yep! You are dehydrated! Go drink some water!

A good way to monitor your fluid intake is to check your urine. Sounds silly but you know you check out what’s in there anyway! Admit it – you do! Your output should be plentiful and colorless or light yellow. You will not see me without a bottle of water in my hand or nearby. I love water! I pee about 20 times a day because I’m constantly drinking water. It’s pretty annoying to have to run to a bathroom every hour but who cares! I get a few more extra steps walking to and from the bathroom because of it.

Keep in mind why being hydrated is so important! Drinking water gets rid of toxins and you know what else it’s great for? Weight loss! Fat stores toxins. Toxins sounds pretty appealing – don’t they? Not eating a “clean” diet will allow your body to store these toxins and, in turn, you gain weight and become “fat”.  Don’t pay attention to the scale. If you are constantly weighing yourself and your weight is fluctuating, it is probably because of fluid retention or loss. Somewhere there is a balance. Just make sure you keep up with your water as you’re exercising and throughout your day, even if you don’t work out.

Water comes in different forms but you want to look for the purest form. Stay away from sodas, juices, anything with added sugar. Milk, low-sodium broths, herbal teas and 100% fruit/vegetable juice are other alternatives to just plain water.

I calculated my intake to 79.5 ounces or 2.4 liters per day using this hydration calculator: http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

I have a 64 oz water jug I use daily. You can get water from eating food sources like fruits and vegetables too.

Don’t drink all the water at one time. Spread it out during the day. Believe it or not, water intoxication is a real condition, although somewhat rare. Athletes are most at risk due to the loss or dilution of electrolytes when working out. Your kidneys can tolerate 15 liters of water a day. As long as you drink slowly, you are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication.

Water can become really boring so I will share what I do with my water. I love love love loooooooooooooove fruit-infused water! I found the idea on another blog months ago. I can't remember the name of the blog now. It was called "spa water" on the blog. You can buy fresh fruit or frozen. I use several glass mason jars so I could have different flavors to pick from to keep my taste buds entertained.

Directions:
1. Add the fruit into the glass jar or pitcher. Not a lot. Maybe a quarter full.
2. Take a wooden spoon and mash the fruit a little bit to get the juice flowing and then fill the rest with filtered water. If using fresh fruit, add ice before adding water.
3. Replace lid and refridgerate for 8 hours or over night.
4. If you don't like fruit pulp in your water, use a small kitchen mesh strainer or a strainer lid (usually sold in the mason jar section of the grocery store).

Some of my fave flavors are:
·         Orange
·         Lemon (with agave nectar)
·         Citrus - orange, lime, lemon
·         Blackberry
·         Strawberry
·         Pineapple
·         Cucumber/lemon

*The only fruit that won't work is bananas.

You can add herbs in as well like sage or mint. Reuse the fruit for no more than 3-4 days.

Couple of quick notes:
·         If you are concerned about your fluid intake, consult with your doctor.
·         Drink a glass (8oz) of water with each meal and between each meal. Drinking a glass of water before eating is a good way to feel full and will keep you from over-eating.
·         Drink water before, during, and after a workout.

D’Anna
xo


One last thing.......

No comments:

Post a Comment